Applications for the DCJ Youth Consult for Change Program are now open!
What is Youth Consult for Change?
The Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) Youth Consult for Change (You CC) program supports young people with a care experience to have a say and give feedback to DCJ to create a better experience for all children and young people in care.
You can apply to become a Youth Consultant if you:
- are a young person with a care experience
- aged between 15 and 21 years
- would like to use your experiences in care to give advice and feedback to DCJ
- have ideas about how to make the out-of-home care system better for other children and young people
- are interested in developing your advocacy and leadership skills.
What do Youth Consultants do?
- Youth Consultants provide feedback and advice to DCJ about issues affecting children and young people in care.
- You will use your expertise through your own experiences to tell us what works and what does not work for kids in care.
- Participate in consultation sessions that are structured and facilitated by the program coordinator to make sure you feel safe, comfortable and supported.
- You will also have the opportunity to work on a project. Previous project include this podcast and animation.
- The program runs for two years.
- Meetings are held once a month on a Saturday. Members must try their best to attend at least 9 out of 12 yearly meetings.
- Meetings alternate between being held in person in Sydney and online.
- If you do not live in Sydney, we organise and pay for your travel costs to and from meetings.
You will be paid for your time and participation.
What did past members like best about being a Youth Consultant?
Some advice from past members to help you get started
Applications close Sunday May 29 2022!
How to apply
There are 16 positions available. We are looking for young people from diverse backgrounds including cultures, identities and abilities, from across New South Wales, with a range of care experiences.
Before applying, please read and think about the membership terms. To be a member, you need to come along to a meeting one Saturday every month. We need you to try your best to come to at least 9 out of 12 meetings. Some meetings are in person in Sydney, and some are online. The Department of Communities and Justice will pay for your travel costs to come to meetings and organise flight bookings if you need.
To apply, choose one of these options
- Fill out this online application form.
- Print and fill out the application form and email it to Youthconsultforchange@facs.nsw.gov.au.
- Fill out Part One of the application form and video or voice record your answers to the application questions and email both to Youthconsultforchange@facs.nsw.gov.au.
You can ask your caseworker, carer, teacher or other support person for help you with your application if you need it.
If you or your support person have any questions, please email Youthconsultforchange@facs.nsw.gov.au.
What happens next?
DCJ will review all the applications.
The program coordinator will contact successful applicants and let them know what happens next.
The program coordinator will contact people who were not successful this time and let them know.
The program coordinator will then schedule an online information session to get you ready for the first in-person meeting. Past member will attend the online session to tell you about their experience as a Youth Consultant and answer any questions you have.