Skip to Content

You can change your name

You can change your name by using a ‘preferred name’ or by legally changing your name. Your caseworker will talk with you about this and may ask you what you think about changing your name, why you want to change your name.  Changing your name needs to be approved by DCJ.  A legal change of name is talked about in a case planning meeting and often a change of name won’t be approved if a child is under 12 years of age. If approved a form must be sent to Births, Deaths and Marriages.